A routine surgery recently went bad for a small child in state outside New Mexico. A couple took their toddler son for a basic tonsillectomy. He had a condition that is often called “hot potato mouth,” which results in difficulty sleeping and problems with speech. Unfortunately, what should have been a safe, simple and routine procedure purportedly turned into numerous surgical errors that has now led to the couple filing a medical malpractice claim.
The surgery took place in Dec. 2014. After the couple took their son home, he began vomiting blood. They immediately went back to the hospital, where their son lost consciousness. Tragically, he never woke up.
Although the exact circumstances of the medical and surgical errors were not reported, some of the specific errors that the health care professionals allegedly committed have been shared. For example, it is said that the boy was given anesthesia and electroshocks in excessive amounts. In addition, it is claimed that he was not provided necessary blood transfusions when needed and was not transported to the Emergency Room in a timely manner. As a result of these allegedly poor decisions, the toddler suffered fatal brain damage.
New Mexico parents always want what is best for their children. Even if a surgery is routine, there is still a certain level of risk involved. However, surgical errors do sometimes occur. When mistakes are made in the operating room, there may be grounds to pursue a medical malpractice claim. Those families facing these issues typically seek the advice and support of an attorney experienced in handling civil litigation related to claims of medical negligence.